Art As A Catalyst
We have seen first hand, art’s ability to transform and empower people and communities. Creativity and self-expression is one of the richest aspects of the human experience. As the murals along Troost demonstrate, art creates a unique sense of place. The Crossroads Art District is an example of how this sense of place and the accompanying culture, revitalizes neighborhoods and creates economic opportunities. Art brings people of all ages and backgrounds together in shared experience.
This has been a powerful experience for us personally and our goal is to make art a central tool and focus of the ecovillage, permeating the daily lives of those involved in the project. We hope to use art to help create a sense of place along Troost and to increase the beauty and community fabric of the neighborhood.
“The arts are not a frill. The arts are a response to our individuality and our nature, and help to shape our identity. What is there that can transcend deep difference and stubborn divisions? The arts. They have a wonderful universality. Art has the potential to unify. It can speak in many languages without a translator. The arts do not discriminate. The arts can lift us up.”
–Former Texas Congresswoman Barbara Jordan
Possibilities For The Arts At The Ecovillage
- Sculpture integrated into the community garden
- Wide leeway for the residents to decorate their personal spaces
- Murals along some of the outdoor and indoor walls
- Galleries in the commercial area
- Shared artists’ work spaces in the commercial area
- Workshops and events in the commercial area and in the community garden
- Participating in Troost Second Fridays Art Hop and Troost Fest
Do you have ideas for the arts at the ecovillage or are you an artist wanting to participate? If so, please fill out the participant interest form!